Call For Voluneers
September 20, 2013
“Those who make compassion an essential part of their lives find the joy of life. Kindness deepens the spirit and produces rewards that cannot be completely explained in words. It is an experience more powerful than words. To become acquainted with kindness one must be prepared to learn new things and feel new feelings. Kindness is more than a philosophy of the mind. It is a philosophy of the spirit.” Robert J. Furey, Author
Call for Volunteers
Position: Lifeline Volunteer
Location: Offsite from your home workspace
Our 24 hour telephone Lifeline provides emotional support and resource referrals for all people living with cancer through all stages of the cancer journey: patients, survivors, friends, family members, caregivers and co-workers. Volunteer must be comfortable listening to profound emotions and have ability to be a good listener, able to provide non-judgmental support to others, and understand that listening does not equate to giving advice or fixing.
- Volunteer must have access to the internet and a phone to connect remotely to the Lifeline
- Respond to calls on the 24-hour Lifeline with emotional support and resource information to clients, including registering clients for Cancer Lifeline programs.
- Helps clients register for Cancer Lifeline classes using web based registration program
- Fill out call logs and other required reporting
- Participate in four Lifeline in-service meetings per year
- One year volunteer commitment
- Advance notice (2-3 months) of plans to leave Lifeline Program
Training Requirements: You will need to participate in a 30-hour weekend training program on October 5, October 6, October 19 and October 26. After training, you will be asked to take up to four daytime shifts per month:
Mondays: 1pm – 6pm
Wednesdays: 9am – 1pm
Fridays: 9am – 1pm
Fridays: 1pm – 6pm Saturdays: 1pm – 6pm
Sundays: 9am – 1pm
If you are interested in volunteering for this very important work, please contact Meghan Wilkins Melanson at Cancer Lifeline. She can be reached at email@example.com or 206-832-1296.